April 5 2011
FWRM Kick Starts WIP Appeal
The Fiji Women's Rights Movement today handed over $1000 to kick start the WIP Appeal, a fundraising initiative to assist the female candidates in their campaigns for the May General Elections. FWRM's donation comes from the proceeds of book sales, and not from donor funds.
The Women in Politics (WIP) Appeal is a grassroots fundraising initiative dedicated to assisting women candidates irrespective of their political affiliation. The idea is to have a fund to assist women in building and running effective election campaigns; and mobilising women voters to help elect more women into Parliament. Similar campaigns have been launched in the United States of America, the United Kingdom and Australia.
"To kick start the appeal, FWRM is contributing $1000 of its own precious savings made from its book sales because we believe in a world free of gender discrimination and because women should just get a fair go," said FWRM Executive Director, Virisila Buadromo.
Funds raised from the WIP Appeal will be shared equally amongst all women contesting, irrespective of their political party affiliations, even if they are standing against each other.
Why should we support ALL women candidates?
- A fairer Fiji: Equitable gender balance and power in Fiji's national parliament. Women make up almost 50% of Fiji's population yet women make up 8% of the national decision making. Of the 71 seats in Parliament, only 6 are filled by women. In the same way that you feel proud of Fiji Sevens Team, you will feel proud of a country that has more women in Parliament.
- Reduced corruption and improved decision making. Increasing the number of women in Parliament has been found to reduce corruption and improves the quality of decisions made. Furthermore, women's contribution to decisions in parliament will ensure the priorities of half of the population will be reflected in national decisions. That is that the voices of your mothers, aunties, daughters and sisters will be heard.
- Role models and nation building: Having increased women in parliament will provide positive role models for girls and boys and contribute to a strong patriotic nation. We will become a proud nation when our parliament fairly represents the diversity of our various ethnic groups and also our gender make up
- Reversing thousands of years of gender discrimination - By doing this you will be contributing to our joint attempt to reverse thousands of years of gender discrimination in which women have been marginalized in politics and leadership.
- A vote against the politics of race - This represents the one opportunity you may have to contribute to the election of female candidates which is not based on the race polemics that our country is sadly known for. This is one chance for you to support female candidates regardless of their political affiliations that you can genuinely feel good about.
- Because women just deserve a fair chance
How can the public help?
We need everyone's financial support to contribute to a fairer, equitable Fiji. Those who are able to donate to the WIP Appeal can deposit their donations to : ANZ FWRM account 1564228